This month. Everywhere I go people are saying “Where did October go?”, and I have to agree — this month has flown by. Today I’m linking up with Leigh Kramer’s “What I’m Into” blogging link-up. I always find a few fun things when reading blogs linked up in this series, and since holiday shopping is right around the corner I’m definitely going to be reading up on what other lady-bloggers are loving. Be sure to check them out by clicking here and scrolling to the bottom of the post.
- My first ever Government Shutdown, which taught me that I’m not at all ready to be a stay-at-home person.
- Dinner with H’s Dad and an entire weekend with my family in our new city. Chicago is a great place for visitors.
- The Crate and Barrel Christmas Tree Lot email. Did you guys get it? Holy cow it is BEAUTIFUL. When I feel sad or need some inspiration I go back and look at it again. Click the link, give it a second to load, and then scroll down. Trust me.
- Getting up-close and personal with my old friend Ina. H and I have been eating some delicious delicious things thanks to the two Barefoot Contessa cookbooks on my bookshelf!
- Getting much better at painting my unbitten nails. It’s been a long time coming. Practice makes perfect, or so they say. We haven’t reached perfection yet but we are getting much closer.
- Choosing (I think) a new alternative career. During the Shutdown, I decided that once I’ve paid my debt down a bit and we are a bit more settled in a city, I might shift careers and teach government, civics, or U.S. history to high school students. I’d love to teach at the college level but let’s be real — what I really want to be is a real-life Tami Taylor. I’m also open to oh, I don’t know, working for a government that doesn’t act crazy and shutdown all the dang time.
- Reading the first few chapters of my friend Abby‘s book manuscript. It was a great read and felt really good to be a small part of something so important. I LOVE when my friends are successful and do awesome things.
Reading and Watching:
- Every show on Television. I seriously did watch every Fall 2013 television premiere (although some I could only handle for a few minutes before moving on), and I am going to break this down for you a little further very soon. [There is a mad case of blogger stalling going on here.] Like most American women I’m loving Scandal and I’ve recently gotten back on the Grey’s Anatomy bandwagon.
- Friday Night Lights. H and I had a lot of time together during my shutdown and since he’d never seen it, we’ve been watching it through from the beginning. He really connects with Coach Taylor and it’s kind of fun watching it from the perspective of a sports fanatic.
- Hilary Mantel came highly recommended but I think the first book of hers that I picked up was not a great place to start. I’ve been plodding along through Fludd without being swept up and it’s taken up most of my month. It’s all about the church so I thought I would love it, but I just haven’t been able to. Yet. I’m looking forward to finishing it up and starting my friend Elora’s book (which I received an autographed copy of, by the way! so excited about this).
Fashion and Beauty:
- Stitch-fix and I are struggling to find our rhythm with a few things, but overall I would be freezing my butt off up here if not for the cute sweaters they’ve sent over for me to purchase lately. I changed some sizes and gave different feedback after reading Anne’s tips for getting the fix you want, and am very excited about my November fix.
- H’s office Christmas party was scheduled for Nov. 9 but has been postponed for some unknown reason. I was excited for the party but really needed to buy new shoes first, so am glad for the delay. If you have favorite black heels you can recommend, please do leave a comment below! I’m in desperate need but always put it off.
- Makeup finds: Philosophy’s Kiss Me lip gloss in Soft Berry was a random purchase that I’ve actually loved. In the [just started painting my] nail department, I’m loving Revlon ColorStay in Stormy Night. I feel super cool when I wear this nail color, although so far the “Stay” part of the polish hasn’t been so effective on my pointer fingers. Just saying.
So, what have you been loving this month? Leave a comment or join the link-up to let us know.